ForgetMeNot Africa's First Apps Challenge is aiming to create sustainable employment through technology in Kenya.
(details on the framework here)
The winning developers will receive seed capital to develop their ideas and if successful, your applications will be launched in Kenya on Safaricom earning you an on-going revenue share, hence creating sustainable employment.
Why should you enter?
- An amazing opportunity to create your own apps business in Kenya
- Successful developers will earn revenue for apps successfully launched in Kenya on the Safaricom Kipokezi platform
- $2000 prize and up to 3 iPads for winning team or individual
- Apps may also be launched in other African countries earning you revenue
- Your apps will also hopefully make a difference for others....good in itself
- Runners up prizes and cool stuff for finalists
- Mentoring from iHUB, ForgetMeNot Africa and Safaricom experts
- Even if you don't win this Apps Challenge, apps can still be submitted for approval on an on-going basis
Tips for Success
Here are some pointers to build winning apps to be published on Kipokezi
The Kipokezi Apps Challenge deadlines have been extended due to high interest, to allow developers a greater amount of time to spend on their apps.
Launch Event: 6pm, 24th of February 2012
If you are in Nairobi why not attend the Apps Challenge launch event which will be held in iHUB Nairobi on Friday the 24th of February where you can hear more about it and meet everyone involved.
API Talk: 6pm, 27th of February 2012
There will also be a dedicated ForgetMeNot Africa Optimiser API talk on Monday the 27th of February at 6pm also at iHUB Nairobi where you can meet our team and work on ideas.
Initial Ideas Deadline: 30th March 2012
The ForgetMeNot team will provide feedback on every idea that is submitted before 30th March 2012. Developers can still submit your ideas right until the shortlist deadline; however you will not receive feedback on your ideas.
All ideas submitted before the shortlist deadline will be eligible for the Kipokezi Apps Challenge Hackathon Final (and prizes).
Initial Ideas Feedback: 30th March – 6th April 2012
Feedback on submitted initial ideas will be given by ForgetMeNot mentors before 6th April 2012.
Shortlist Deadline: 20th April 2012
The deadline of developers to submit an application to be considered for the Hackathon Final shortlist will be the 20th April 2012.
Shortlist announced for Hackathon final: 27th April 2012
The selected developers for the Hackathon Final will be announced on the 27th April 2012
Hackathon Final: 4th/5th/6th May 2012
The Apps Challenge Hackathon will be held in iHUB Nairobi over the weekend of the 4th/5th/6th May 2012 where winning teams and individuals can work and polish their ideas with mentors from ForgetMeNot Africa, iHUB and Safaricom. Each team will present their final idea, business case and code to the judging panel and the winner will be announced. There can only be one main winner, however all other approved apps can be published meaning that the taking part really could be just as good as winning!
How to Enter?
To enter you must be a WHITE member of iHUB Kenya and register with us to post applications. Don't worry it's easy...
1. Become a WHITE member of iHUB by simply registering online at iHUB. There is no cost to becoming a member of iHub...nice eh!
2. To start creating apps for the Apps Challenge simply register as a developer on the Kipokezi platform REGISTER NOW
3. Once you have created an amazing app submit it on the Kipokezi platform
Don't forget to join the facebook group for discussion and queries www.facebook.com/groups/FMNDevelopers